Monday, April 26, 2010

Naomi's 2-Month Visit

This was Miss Naomi before I took her to her 2-month doctor's check-up all ready to go in her car seat. She has been smiling a lot now for us and is very conversational...that is lots of goo's and gah's and baby cooing sounds. She tries so hard to mimic our mouth movements! It is really cute to watch her! She loves it when we sing to her and just HAS to be around people at all times. She gets very irritated if she can't see SOMEBODY around. She seems to love her brothers too except when the younger ones poke her or pat her just a little too hard. Mommy has to guard Miss Naomi when the brothers are "loving" on her.

The doctor was pleased with her progress as she is gaining weight and growing, but she dropped a little below the 25 percentile for weight this time. This means I am going to be trying to feed her every 2 1/2 hours instead of the 3 that we were doing, and also the doctor suggested that I pump once a day to see how much she is getting at a feeding. She nurses a lot like Caleb did, taking the let down and then gets a bit fussy with her feeding after that, but she doesn't do that all the time. Caleb went to the bottle soon after he started doing this because I was overwhelmed trying to nurse both Caleb and Daniel being that I wasn't producing enough milk for two. So, this is new for me, trying to figure out how to make this little girl put on some weight! My mom told me that at one year, I was only 17 pounds, so perhaps she is taking after me in that regard. She is very busy and moves a lot, so that could be the case.

For the record, she is 9 pounds 5 ounces (not quite caught up to Josiah's birth weight yet--he was a whopping 9 pounds 15 ounces), 22 inches long (little below 50% for height), and head circumference is 15.5 inches (little below 75%).

My only concern at this visit was her seemingly small weight gain, but that can be easily fixed. It is likely she doesn't get as much hind milk due to her not sucking long enough or something, so with some adjustments I think she will do better by the next visit at the 4-month mark. I plan to go in for a weight check at the 3-month mark though just to make sure she is progressing nicely.

3 comments:

Rebecca K. said...

if it makes you feel any better, pretty much EVERYONE i know has babies that tend to be either very large or very small (i don't mean birthweight but general size) and while your boys are certainly chunkers, the twins anyway, it would be easy to see girls following a different pattern. While Chloe wasn't low on the scales she was a LOT smaller than all the other children, by about 4 yrs old she grew into place in our giant kid family but she was perfectly hungry. I think though that trying for every 2.5 hrs is a good idea, particularily if she's not nursing at night. that will up the total number of feedings. anyhoo, she's sooo beautiful, you are so blessed! Glad she's doing well!

Jana said...

I had issues too. At Nora's two month visit I went to 8-9, mostly 9 nursings in a 24 hour period. I feed her every 2 hours or so during the day so I can sleep at night. Now she does about 8. We'll see if she's gained enough weight at her 4 month visit here soon. I think she's just petite too though.

Anonymous said...

Babies need a minimum of 8-12 feeds in a 24 hour period. Up her feedings to every two hours during the day, minimum. This is from start of the first to the start of the next. So if she takes 30 minutes to feed the next feed would be in 1.5 hours.