Friday, July 15, 2011

Vacation Bible School 2011

This was our last Vacation Bible School experience at Bethany Baptist Church (or as far as we know for now anyway) and it was a good one. I helped to lead music for the kids (we had around 380 this year) each day in the morning and at the end of each day and also helped out here and there where needed as well. I had this horrible cold though the whole week, so it was only by God's grace that I was able to lead the music! This picture was from the last day when they got bouncy houses for the kids and had jump ropes and hula hoops outside to play with. Josiah was enjoying trying out the jump rope.

He was jumping without shoes 'cause they asked them to take them off for the bouncy houses and he just decided to jump rope without them also. He seemed to be able to swing the rope backwards better than forwards though for whatever reason.

One of the gals at the church, Mrs. Erickson, was there to help out kids who had special needs or just needed an extra amount of TLC for the week and Josiah was one of her buddies on a few of the days there. He absolutely LOVED hanging out with Mrs. Erickson and told me all about their adventures together at the end of each VBS day. I was so thankful for her willingness to love on Josiah and it really made his week.

The twins got to go to a mini-VBS that was set up only for the volunteers kids and they also had a great time. Daniel loved seeing his "teacher" everyday and both of them kept asking to go to "PBS," which is what Josiah used to call "VBS" too when he was little. The twins got to come upstairs for the music part that I did and each day when I asked them their favorite part they said, "The music!" The counter to this though was when I asked Josiah his favorite part he said, "NOT the music!" Later he said to me, "The music is nice Mommy, but I don't want to sing." I asked him why and told him he had a beautiful voice and he said, "I only sing when I want to." Naomi got to stay in the nursery the whole time and during my breaks I would come down and play with her a bit and she loved that. The ladies said she was very active and loved to do lots of different things in the nursery. One of the days, she hurt her lip on a chair that she fell on, but all was well!

The twins had one room for active play where they had this rocking boat and a little bounce house and some other things and then a room for arts and crafts and stories and just free play. Their teacher, Mrs. Kirkpatrick, is there on the left singing, "Row, row, row your boat" and Caleb is enjoying his boat ride.

They set up a water table there in the back of the room and Daniel is there playing. One of the days I peeked in and Daniel and another boy were drinking the water from the water toy cups at the table. From what I understand, the twins did a great job in class. They had a lot of 2 and 3 year-olds in that class, I think around 19, so it was quite a group! They had lots of helpers though too, so that was good. Mrs. Kirkpatrick was pretty worn out though at the end of the week she told me! It was nice they had this for the volunteers kids because the twins and Naomi had a great week too!

No comments: