Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Twin Mommy Stuffage

As promised, here is a picture of all of us twin moms at the New Mother's Tea at Grassi's Cafe in Tacoma. The gal there had the insight to get us all lined up on their nice staircase rather than take a picture of all us at the table with all the dirty dishes after the meal. I noticed at the bottom of the stairs a book they were trying to sell entitled "Men, They Just Don't Get It," and suggested that we turn it around since all of us were ladies in the photo. No offense honey, but it was a funny joke I thought! It was a really fun event and I was glad to get out and talk with the ladies. Most people that find out that I have 5 month old twins and an almost 3 year old say, "Wow, you must have your hands full," but the twin moms just give a knowing look and/or actually have practical advice to deal with "having my hands full." This is the benefit of meeting other twin moms in my opinion. It is a common bond that unites us immediately...the understanding that it is a tough job to raise two at once! Molly said it nicely at the tea when she was speaking of the challenges of the first year and people asked her, "Are you getting help?" She responded with, "Yes, my mother is coming over once a week," and they said, "Oh good, you will be able to get out and do something then, that will be fun!" She said again, "No, actually I will be getting HELP...as in I need an extra set of hands to assist me!" It is hard to do alone and the way I put it is, when things are running smoothly it seems almost easy, but when everyone starts crying at once and there is a real kink in the routine it can be a huge nightmare!

David and I were talking the other day and we concluded that perhaps for me, in these times where it all seems so overwhelming, it is my opportunity to remain humble and look to the Lord for strength as it is clear that my strength is always inadequate for the task. I am attempting to take hold of these opportunities and look forward to the growth that it will produce in my life as well as the lives of these little guys. I have been memorizing the book of James and I think it was well put when it says, "...the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." As a twin mom, the "not lacking anything" part would sure be welcome at this point! I know I am not anywhere near there yet as this is a lifetime process. My current goal is to learn to draw on the Lord's calm in the storms I experience. To be firm with my children, but not lose control. To be self controlled with my time and to take time to play with my children. Speaking of which, Josiah is putting all his cars on the table for yet another reinactment of "Mater and the Ghost Light"...don't ask!! For those of you that have seen "Cars" you are perhaps familiar with this story. We have a lot of the small replica cars from the movie and I am called upon to tell the story over and over again.

The Ghost Light calls...off I go! Blessings to you all!

No comments: