Monday, June 29, 2009

Josiah's 4th Birthday--Part Two

This was the year that we got him a bicycle with training wheels for his birthday. If you can't tell, it is a Lightning McQueen bike from the "Cars" movie. He also has a helmet and elbow pads to match. It is so funny because when he gets ready to go bike riding he puts on his helmet and then asks me to help him put on his "lily pads." I am not sure where he got that, but it was really cute. He is very proud that he can ride his bike and the first few days he would beg me to ride it right when he got up (around 5:30am). I explained to him that only crazy people get out that early and ride their bikes. Ha ha ha! I am sure some of you reading may be one of those crazy people, yes?

The theme of the party was a mixture between "Cars" stuff and water play/squirt gun fun. The invites I made had a picture of squirt guns on them and I asked that people not bring official gifts, but rather some squirt guns to play with and then either take home or leave with Josiah. It turned out to be a really fun idea as the kids were having fun running around squirting each other with the various types of squirt guns and water toys. In the house, I decorated with all of the various "Cars" gear that we have including a big puzzle for the centerpiece on the table.

We had this cake specially made by Michelle at Barker Bakery in Edgewood. She was a really nice gal and did a fabulous job on the cake. It was reasonably priced too and was made fresh with yummy buttercream frosting. It is hard to tell in this picture, but the Lightning McQueen was a layer above the blue sheet cake. She made Lightning McQueen fly through the air like he was on a jump, hence the blue background and the white clouds above his head. We were very pleased with how it turned out! One funny thing about the cake though. We were singing "Happy Birthday" to Josiah and while doing so, Daniel snuck up to the edge of the table and grabbed a chunk out of the cake! This was reminicent of when I did the same thing at my Aunt Debby's wedding as a child. I guess what goes around comes around, right Aunt Debby?


Josiah was sharing a cracker with Katie girl and Hannah was very sweet with the babies too, helping them with things and playing very gently with them. When the day was out, I asked Josiah what his favorite part was and he said it was playing with the squirt guns. We all had a very fun day and the weather was beautiful for the event. Thanks all for coming and making it such a fun day for Josiah! Happy Birthday my sweet little four-year-old pumpkinhead!!

3 comments:

Jee said...

Heather -- looks like Josiah had a great birthday twice!!! I'm glad that he wasn't as scared as he was last year at the Rainforest Cafe. I love the blog and watching the Carpenters grow.

Daniel and Natalie said...

he looks like a very happy happy birthday boy! Good job Mom!

The Morrissey Family said...

Great idea- squirt guns! Wow- a bike! He is growing up so fast.