Thursday, April 03, 2008

Reflections on my Grandpa Hal


On March 30th, 2008 at 3:15pm my Grandpa, Hal Minnich, went to be with Jesus. My Grandpa was a very well-read, intelligent man with a very humble spirit. He was fairly quiet, but when he had something to say it was well worth listening to, and it was usually about something he was passionate about. He had this infectious laugh that sounded more like a wheeze really and you couldn’t help but join in when he was laughing. He was a strong Christian man with a real love for the Lord. He and Grandma would always tell us, “We pray for you every day Heather, dear.” He wasn’t able to take compliments to well as I recall. Grandma doted on him saying how handsome he was and how she had to fight off all the other ladies that wanted Grandpa as their catch back in the early days of their courtship and marriage. Whenever she would do this, he would get this stern look on his face and would say, “OH Betty,” usually followed by an impromptu trip to the bathroom or an immediate need to find “something” in the bedroom. It was clear he was embarrassed!

After the birth of his first great grandson (our little Josiah) we took him over to see Great Grandpa and you couldn’t wipe the grin off his face as he looked at Josiah. It was obvious that he loved children. Before he passed on, I did call him at his home and had Josiah talk to him a bit. He said, “I love you Great Grandpa,” and some other things, and when I spoke to him afterward I could hear him smiling through the phone. He also said he was anxious to tell Grandma Betty about the conversation when he saw her next time.
I attended my Grandpa Hal’s memorial service this past Wednesday and brought the twins as well. It was a whirlwind trip (we flew in the morning at 9:00am and returned back at 8:45pm) and though it was a lot of work and preparation to bring the twins, I was glad that people could see them and enjoy them during this time. It was the first time in a long while that I can remember that most all the cousins were gathered together at the same time and we had a fun time reminiscing about Grandpa, Grandma and our various past family gatherings and such. One of the cousins commented how nice it was to hear the extended Minnich clan sing the hymns at church. Then Lynne (another cousin) said, “Yes, my husband asked me one time…does your family always sing when you get together?” Our collective response was, “Of course we do!” Our Grandpa and Grandma both loved singing and music in general and it was a guarantee that they would like some sort of performance by whoever would give one when we came to their home.



Here is Josiah "helping" Grandpa push Grandma in her wheelchair. I was told that Grandpa was one of only 2 men who daily visited their wives who were in the care center. He truly knew the meaning of "for better or for worse" and honored his commitment to Betty even through the tough times! What a great example to live up to for my first born and for all of us!

This event pictured here was the last time that I saw my Grandpa when he was living. We had come over to Spokane to visit our friends and family in December of 2006. We had hoped to come out there again this last Thanksgiving, but my pregnancy with the twins was just too complicated and difficult to make the journey. The wonderful news though is I WILL see him again! I look forward to the day when he will greet me in heaven!

I love you Grandpa and I am thankful you are free of pain and in a better place now!

1 comment:

Lynne' said...

I wrote a "note" on facebook about Grandpa, but couldn't find you as your name was too popular. Maybe you could find me though in the Spokane network? :) I didn't put it on our blog as all the people that I know except a couple would see it on facebook (and more too probably who don't look at our blog)